Max Weber( Bureaucracy, power and control).
Fredrick Taylor ( Scientific Management).
Henri Fayol (Administration).
Also it is essential to have an over all view of the three theories and a critical comparison to reflect on how much these theories have contributed to classical theory of business.
Definition of management:
(1)Management takes place within a structured organizational setting with prescribed roles. It is directed towards the achievement of aims and objectives through influencing the efforts of others.
Max Weber: ( 1864 - 1920)
(2)" Bureaucracy is the rule conducted from a desk or office" i.e. by the preparation and dispatch of written documents.
Bureaucratic administration means the exercise of control on the basis of knowledge.
It is believed that Weber thought of bureaucracy as the most efficient form of organization.
Weber based his theory on the following factors:
· The organization of official functions governed by rules.
· A clearly defined hierarchy of offices.
· Free selection of appointed officials.
· Full- time paid officials.
· Career officials.
· Private/ public split
· Systematic discipline and control of officials work
The characteristics of bureaucracy
· It is organized according to rational principles.
· Offices are ranked in a hierarchal order and their operation are characterized by impersonal rule.
· Appointments are made according to specialization and qualifications rather than ascriptive criteria .
· The activities required in an bureaucratic organization is distributed in a fixed way as official duties
· The separation of officials from the ownership of the organization.
· The individuals function within the limit of their specialization of the work.
The impact and benefits of bureaucracy according to Weber
· Only through organized structure ( bureaucracy) large -scale planning in both the modern state and modern economy is possible.
· Bureaucratic organization has shaped the modern policy, economy and technology.
· Bureaucratic types of organization is technically superior to all other forms of administration much as a machine production...